My Godson Keegan

My Godson Keegan

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Inquiy-Based Learning in the Classroom

     I have used inquiry-based learning in the form of webquests while teaching high school English in the past. In particular, I remember using a webquest with the goal of students writing a persuasive essay about the war in Iraq. I set up a document with several sources relating to current events and politics. I then had the students search these sites in order to find answers to questions I had written regarding the war. For instance, I asked: How much does the war cost the U.S. everyday? After answering these questions through their research, they were able to form an opinion about the war and talk about in an educated manner.
     I thought it was important for the students to able to form an opinion about important current events. This is a good example of how inquiry-based learning can be used in the classroom to help students in the future. Many of the students could now hold endless discussions on the Iraq war and war itself.
    

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget with inquiry the students do a lot of the work in formulating the research questions and determining what resources they need. Your activity sounds engaging, but inquiry also has to do with the "habits of mind."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be important to note that I listed sources and questions only as a guideline. They were certainly allowed and encouraged to ask their own questions and use their own sources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I hope the reading was helpful for you to recognize the possibilities for inquiry in your own classroom.

    ReplyDelete